hi jacob:

you wrote, in part:
>This may sound a bit strange to most of you,
>but take this from one who has seen both sides of agony...
>I had suffered from a terrible, odd kind of depression
>for three years up to the attempted suicide at the age of eighteen...
>It may not be what some of you expect or even want to hear,
>but severe P.D. is a flesh wound, a mere scratch,
>compared to the f***ing agony that was caused by the
>emotional instability that I went through ...

i can relate to your comparison, jacob

at the risk of repetitive redundancy,
i will re-state part of my post called 'perceptions':

-----
since october 1995
when i was privileged to join this ethereal family
i have:
posted daily at times
posted infrequently at times
lurked for months at a stretch
all depending on my own circumstances and my own energy levels

i deal with parkinson's disease [pd]
as well as with clinical depression [cd]
and at times, i think cd is the harder battle

when my thinking
is bright and clear
my sense of self is strong
my sense of humour is at its goofiest
my inherent natural joy in life is in top form
and my tolerance for the actions of others is at its most generous

when i am caught
in the Grey Cloud [GC]
of Clinical Depression [CD]
or other Similarly Laden Internalized Modes of Expression [SLIME!]
my thinking becomes consistently negative
my sense of self is muddied
the joy in life doesn't exist
[and never did, and never will return]
there is little in this wide world and dark to laugh at
and there are very few people out there
[a] who are worth my attention and
[b] who would ever feel i was worthy of their attention.

this kind of murky thinking grows slowly and insidiously
and feeds on itself in a slippery downward spiral
-----

i keep 'harping' on the subject of clinical depression
because my heart goes out to anyone struggling with it, and
because as an illness it suffers from "visibility" problems similar to pd, and
because of the apparent chemical relationship it has with pd
[i.e. somewhere between 40 to 60 % of all of us parkies have cd too]

while there is some leeway for a technical discussion
as to whether pd can accurately be labelled a direct cause of death
there is no such leeway when it comes to cd

clinical depression is nothing to be ashamed of,
no more than heart disease is,
but if it goes undiagnosed
it can be just as deadly

i inhabit a 'body-bag' [!] full of miraculous chemicals
which sometimes need fine-tuning;
simple

with love from your cyber-sibling

janet

janet paterson
51/10 - endocarb/selegiline/fluoxetine - [log in to unmask]
a new voice: http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/index.htm