Barb:
You are quite right.  When our son was in Korea,  a fellow army dude got our
calling card number.  He reached out and touched everyone he knew.  The bills
for 2 months of illegal phone calls was close to $7,000.00.  We talked to the
Camp Commander, but most important we talked to AT&T and explained our
problem.  Imagine our surprise when they wrote off all of the phone calls (we
owed nothing) and the young man had to pay all the bills or go to prison. It's
a felony I think.  Have Ivan or someone representing him talk to the Phone
Carrier.  Good Luck.
Gina