Dawn,
I have been in counselling for over 5 years because of clinical
depression (cd). In our local area the mental health professionals
have created (or copied from somewhere else) a series of
workshops/counselling sessions which are designed to help people
recognize the signs of their problems.  This helps us to see the
beginning of major changes in mood, or mindset.  For me I began to
notice that when my cd is pronounced I lose my ability to find joy in
anything.  I cannot laugh at jokes, find delight in children, see the
beauty in a flower, or any other type of joy.  Also, I can no longer
become angry over anything.  I do not seem to care what happens to
myself or anyone else in the world. Everything fades to gray and all
I want to do is leave this world.  With the awareness of these
changes I am beginning to be able to control some of the cd, to
change my reactions and hopefully keep me from reaching the bottom
again.

don't forget how to laugh (and do it often)
Marling McReynolds
http://members.tripod.com/~marling