Group -

Bruce Anderson has brought up 2 valid questions in regards to the experimental
"pig-cell" implant surgery.  I will answer them to the best of my ability with
the information I have.

1) "Is it a successful experiment generally?"  Considering that Phase 1 Trials
(the ones that I am involved with) were designed to determine only the medical
safety aspects of this operation, the answer is a strong "Yes."  To date there
have been no adverse side-effects in the patients who have received the
implants.  One recipient died a few months (7, if I'm not mistaken) after his
surgery from an unrelated medical problem.  An autopsy indicated that the
injected cells were starting to function.

But the real question here is whether or not the patients are seeing an
improvement in their Parkinson's symptoms.  The answer is that 6 (of the
original 12) are, indeed, benefiting from the procedure.  Unfortunately, that
is all the information I have.  But read on.

The reason I don't have more on this subject is a simple one.  The bio-medical
company has NOT encouraged those of us in Phase 1 to "compare notes."  Of
course there are issues of patient privacy involved.  However, and more
importantly, their biggest fear is the possibility of a "placebo-effect"
taking place between us.  This effect could artificially enhance OR denigrate
the test results.  Clearly, such distortions would be highly detrimental to
the on-going research.

2) "What is the timetable?"  Only continuing study will answer this question.
I can only speak from my experiences.  And, in this case, improvement was
measurable 6 months after the operation.  I suspect this will be VERY
individualized; there are dozens of factors that must be considered.  Things
like length of time with PD, general health, age, severity of symptoms, and
the like certainly play a role.

It is important to note, however, that based upon the results of Phase 1, the
Federal Drug Administration has approved the start of Phase 2.  To me, that
means we may be on the right path.

We must NOT forget the fact that science doesn't have all the answers.  The
medical community is relying upon the first 12 of us (and the next 36 in Phase
2) to help find them.

I am proud to have a small part in this exciting, cutting-edge research.

Jim Finn