On Sun 05 Jul, Didi Reuben wrote:
> Hi,  I hope I'm doing this right.  I want to reach everyone on the PD list. I
> have a question.  My aunt has Parkinson's and has been on a drug called
> Sinemet for years.  It seems the side effects are very bad and far outweigh
> the benefits anymore.
>
> My dad, her brother, is very concerned about her (as we all are) and wonders
> what would happen if she were to slowly reduce the Sinemet and eventually stop
> it altogether.
>
> What would happen if she just weaned off the drug altogether?
>
> Thanks in advance of any input, suggestions or new info you can share with us.
> I look forward to hearing from you.
>
> Didi

Hello Didi,  As I am sure you are aware, your questions are not exactly  new.
There are always newly-diagnosed People With Parkinson's (PWPs)  or people
lucky enough to have caring relatives who are searching for facts. Writing
the amswers begins to pall after the 20th time, so I did the obvious thing:
With the help of Jerry Finch, (One of our computer whiz-kids) I have written
all (Or nearly all) you need to know about Sinemet. Assuming that you can
Browse the Internet, you just point your browser at the following URL:
  I should warn you: some of what I have written is straight fact, and other
parts are based on my experience of taking Levodopa (the important ingredient
in sinemet). Anyway, I hope you get something useful out of Living with
Levodopa :-

                http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/mag.htm

        Look for the article 'Living with Levodopa'

Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>