From:   Parkinson's Information Exchange on behalf of Gina Cass.
Sent:   Tuesday, June 30, 1998 6:49 PM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        Re: National Publicity for PD

Abi:
I worked for a PBS TV station for about 8 years.  It used to drive me nuts
that these shows were shown so many times and they were so old.  I know why.
CPB was funding most of the programs on PBS but as the years have gone by the
money has become less and less.  Forcing PBS stations to work harder to get
more money donated.  Well, many folks believe that PBS is their TV God rights.
That they should not have to pay for PBS.  The stations are having more pledge
drives, auctions, many more ideas to gain more money, to buy more (high
dollar) shows.  You would not believe what they pay for Sesame Street or
everyone's favorite Barney.  With the dollars they have to work with they buy
less expensive shows but the air times are for a longer period of time.
(Myabe 1 show purchased will have air rights over 3 year period or to be aired
3 times.)  So, on the next fund drive, help your local PBS station out and
yourself.  It can only buy programs of quality if the dollars are there.  CPB
wants to cut all funding and have all PBS stations depend on the area more.
One year, during a  Barney marathon, a woman pledged $20 because her children
had been quiet and sitting watching Barney.  A purple babysitter.  I
personally did not like Barney.
Gina
47/6 mons