>The "mask" deprives PWP of an important mean of communication.
>
>About this subject I read a clarifying article:
>

>        "THE IMPORTANCE OF COMMUNICATION", BY SHEILA SCOTT.

Dear Hans,

I couldn't agree with you more.  And I liked the way you ended your mailing
with your encouragement for people to get (re)connected and to stay connected.

When I suggested that people draw up a business card and give it to people
they choose to, with their e-mail or web page address on it, I neglected to
add a suggestion to further connect through touch.  People on this list touch
one another every day.  The ability to communicate with words is enormous when
it comes from the heart.

Remember the mimes.  When something is taken away, they amplify what is left.
If your face can't at this time express what you feel, communicate in other
ways.  With a dear one, take their hand and touch it to your face...or vice
versa.  Your hand gently placed on their arm will express much.  Who is the
actor who played in The Mission and I think in Copland...he gets all the
closeups...and he never seems to  shows anything and yet says
everything...Brando does it too...just look at The Godfather.

Caregivers, help your person by encouraging them to practise subtle facial
gestures each day.  Those who have eyes to see will see.  Don't waste your
mind on those who won't.

Tim Hodgens, Ph.D.
Psychologist
Westborough, MA