--------------29532DFFB7683C461B4EF17C

jg wrote:

>  He has lost a drastic amount of weight (about 40 lbs).  He hates to
> eat (just about anything) as he claims it interferes with his
> absorption of Sinemet or Tasmar.  Right after taking Sinemet he feels
> pain too.  (He can only tolerate the regular Sinemet, (10/100) so I
> suspect it is the initial absorption into his system, too high
> initially).

Dear Jackie,Does Bob take his Sinemet at least 30 minutes before eating?
PWP may experience "delayed stomach emptying." This means it takes
longer than usual for food to get out of the stomach and into the small
intestine. If he feels that food interferes with his Sinemet, it may be
for this reason. Taking the meds 30-60 minutes before meals usually
helps.

With regard to the pain in his legs, does he take any vitamin/mineral
supplements? There are many possible causes for this pain, including
muscle tightness, not enough physical activity or stretching, etc.
However, a possible cause is inadequate calcium, magnesium, potassium,
and vitamin E. As you say he has lost weight drastically, he may be
depleted of the very nutrients that could help. Weight loss also usually
means loss of muscle mass and bone density, and this can cause problems
for PWP.

Would he be willing to try Hearty Balance supplements between meals, to
help with weight maintenance? These are high in carbohydrates and low in
protein, and (for most people) do not interfere with levodopa
absorption.

My very best regards to you both,
Kathrynne

Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
"Nutrition you can live with!"
Medical nutrition therapy
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/
Tel: 970-493-6532 // Fax: 970-493-6538

--------------29532DFFB7683C461B4EF17C

<HTML>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
jg wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;<FONT SIZE=-1>He has lost a drastic amount
of weight (about 40 lbs).&nbsp; He hates to eat (just about anything) as
he claims it interferes with his absorption of Sinemet or Tasmar.&nbsp;
Right after taking Sinemet he feels pain too.&nbsp; (He can only tolerate
the regular Sinemet, (10/100) so I suspect it is the initial absorption
into his system, too high initially).</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dear Jackie,Does Bob take his Sinemet at least 30 minutes before eating?
PWP may experience "delayed stomach emptying." This means it takes longer
than usual for food to get out of the stomach and into the small intestine.
If he feels that food interferes with his Sinemet, it may be for this reason.
Taking the meds 30-60 minutes before meals usually helps.

<P>With regard to the pain in his legs, does he take any vitamin/mineral
supplements? There are many possible causes for this pain, including muscle
tightness, not enough physical activity or stretching, etc. However, a
possible cause is inadequate calcium, magnesium, potassium, and vitamin
E. As you say he has lost weight drastically, he may be depleted of the
very nutrients that could help. Weight loss also usually means loss of
muscle mass and bone density, and this can cause problems for PWP.

<P>Would he be willing to try Hearty Balance supplements between meals,
to help with weight maintenance? These are high in carbohydrates and low
in protein, and (for most people) do not interfere with levodopa absorption.

<P>My very best regards to you both,
<BR>Kathrynne
<BR>&nbsp;

<P>Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
<BR>"Nutrition you can live with!"
<BR>Medical nutrition therapy
<BR><A HREF="http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/">http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/</A>
<BR>Tel: 970-493-6532 // Fax: 970-493-6538
<BR>&nbsp;
</BODY>
</HTML>

--------------29532DFFB7683C461B4EF17C--