Bruce Anderson wrote:
> a fellow employee where I worked got a diagnosis of ALS.  Within 6 months he was in a wheelchair; he was told he had 5 years to live and they would be hell...

Bruce,
When diagnosed with ALS, the prognosis is 3 to 5 years, and to say those
would be years of hell is putting it mildly.

> there is not supposed to be any dementia; they are alert right to the end. It's rare, though.

There is NO dementia, and it is not all that rare anymore.

One of our Y.O. members told us that when he was diagnosed with PD, the
doctor told him he had the best of the worst. I find it difficult to
think of PD as being the best of anything, but after watching what my
sister-in-law went through...and feeling so helpless, because for ALS
sufferers there is nothing, having PD isn't so bad.

Judith
--
Judith Richards, London, Ontario, Canada