You are so right that everyone should read this article on the NIH.
We are not alone in noticing the way they spend their money.
Go to:    http://allpolitics.com/1998/07/08/ap/nih/      for the
article.

This also is what Representative Wally Herger here in CA has been
saying.  He will not back the Udall bill, nor any other disease
specific bill. He is trying to get the NIH to base their spending on
need; for example how many people are effected by a disease/disorder,
how any people does it kill, and how much does it cost the tax
payers.
I do not completely agree with him as I want the Udall bill fully
funded now, but he does make sense in a way.

don't forget how to laugh (and do it often)
Marling McReynolds
http://members.tripod.com/~marling