Letter to the editor (s):

I recently had the opportunity to go to Washington, DC as part of the
Parkinson's Action Network's fifth annual Forum.  We "Parkinson's Activists"
spent the better part of a week  (Jun 14-17) hearing about the latest research
funding, and how to approach Members of Congress.  On Tuesday the 16, we
visited our lawmakers.  We feel he public needs to know this about the
situation: The US Federal Government pays out a (conservatively) estimated
13.6 million dollars a day (or $5 billion a year) to maintain the status quo
for about one million American people with Parkinson's Disease (PWP).  While
we are grateful for the cash, we would prefer a cure.  However, that takes
money.

We think we have a powerful case:

If you had the opportunity to make up to a 1000 % annual return on an
investment, could you find the money?  Like most investments, there are no
guarantees--actual results may vary depending on ongoing and future costs, and
the possibility that the desired result may be more difficult or expensive
than expected.  However, it is also a potentially far better deal than just
1000 % return on the money:

--First, the "cost to society" is $25 billion (five times the direct cost to
taxpayers).  Saving that money should increase investment and yield more tax
dollars.  Ex PWPs could buy stock rather than pills.
--Second, the 1000 % figure applies only to a single year without PD costs.
The $ 5 billion loss now occurs yearly.  That is, investing now accelerates
the future when the US Government benefits by $ 5 billion a year, year after
year--forever.

Lawmakers recognized the effectiveness of that investment last year by passing
into law the Morris K. Udall Research and Education Act.  (The Udall Bill).
However, that Act only "authorized" spending.  "Appropriation" of the funds is
still required.  Only then does the required money go to work to save us all
big bucks.  Every day's delay is another day of all PWP's lives and 13.6
million dollars down the drain.  Time is money.  Time is life.  Please help us
to preserve both.  So far, there has been no money.

The price tag for this investment is one hundred million dollars a year for
five years.  This amount is not simply a nice round number.  Distinguished
researchers huddled back in 1993 to decide how much could be absorbed by
projects of high scientific and/or clinical merit by the PD research and
treatment community.

Deprived of this cash, researchers have proceeded very slowly over the past
five years.  Many important projects are still unfunded.  However, they have
proceeded.  Many exciting leads are being explored, many more are planned.

There you have it, the possibility for saving 13.6 million dollars a day, the
possibility to  stop a horrible disease.

How about helping us do this.  Ask your Congress to pass the full funding (one
hundred million dollars) to implement the Udall law

To call: dial the number
                `               (202) 224-3121 The House of Representatives
                                (202) 225-3121 The United States Senate
 You should get a perky "Capitol." Name the Legislator that you want to call.
They will connect you with his/her office.

Best regards,