It seems to me that this tactic (lumping together) could backfire on us.
First, diseases related to PD are other movement disorders like PSP,
essential tremor, dystonia, etc., so research on PD is not unlikely to
spill over in terms of ultimate benefits.  Research on other neurological
diseases are less likely to benefit us or vice versa and, in the case of
Alzheimer's and ALS, actually already receive MUCH more funding per patient
that PD.  The PAN disparity chart showing NIH funding by disease is
mind-boggling!

The second point is that the NIH philosphy is exactly what you've described
and what the Udall Act is trying to counteract.  NIH feels that "the high
tide floats all ships" so increasing their overall budget will help
everyone.  That's true to an extent, but would still leave us with the same
old disparity that exists today in terms of research focused on a single
disease.  Mike Claes' message about sticking to a single message:  FUND THE
UDALL ACT is the most important thing we can do!

Carole Cassidy