Dear Dennis:
I have 2 dogs and 2 cats and did  have a rat, hamster, and a hedgehog.  When
I'm having a rough time, all the way around, the 2 dogs will sit, one on
either side of me. They lay the length of my legs. They even do this when I'm
in bed. The one cat, 26# male red lays across the top of my lounge chair, flat
out. I had the same reactions from the rat (he more than all), hamster, and
what can you really do with a hedgehog. I was the only one who could hold him.
If I'm in the shower or bath, there are the dogs. Cooking, cleaning, laundry,
etc., the dogs are right there. Now, if I'm having a good day, no tremors, no
ridgity, no dizzy/lightheadness, etc., they will go their own little way.
Outside, lay down inside, play with each other or the cats but they will leave
me alone.  Almost like they know, I can make it today. Thanks.
Animals are very highly tuned to what is going on around them. They do have a
sense of being needed to heal.  Like what can I do. Hope this helps.
Gina
I don't know though about smell or odors because mine sit by the tub and cry.
They smell the soap. But still want to be by me.
47/7 mos.