Marling -- I'm 48 and have had idiopathic PD for about 3 years. Eleven
months ago I also had surgery to take 12 pieces of bone & cartilage from
my right elbow (osteoarthritis) and "reposition" my right ulnar nerve.
The ulnar neuropathy I had was quite severe - claw hand syndrome,
intense chronic pain, muscle wasting, etc. It was so bad that even after
the surgery both my surgeon and my neurologist noted zero percent nerve
conductivity, and said my ulnar nerve was effectively "dead."  For the
first time since my diagnosis of PD I felt despair. My left hand was in
a state of constant PD tremor, and essentially useless, and now my "good
hand" couldn't grasp a pen or hold change from a vendor. Malaise soon
became what I thought was fatigue, and it wasn't long before I was
sleeping 18 hours a day. I wasn't aware that I was clinically depressed.
The story, however, does have a happy ending. I'm not a religious
person; I'm not affiliated with any church or spiritual organization, I
don't read the bible, the torah, the koran, or the works of the Buddha.
I do, however, believe in what I simply refer to as the Eternal -- that
which created all that is. And I asked this remarkable creative force
for a "miracle."  And a miracle is what I got! Ten months after doctors
declared my hand dead, it suddenly came to life. The clawed fingers
began to straighten and -- as if someone had waved a magic wand over my
hand -- I regained muscle tone and strength. I now have 90% of my
function back, and although I still struggle with chronic, moderate
depression, I KNOW that miracles are part of our "ordinary daily
lives."   Martin Bayne  [log in to unmask]