In a message dated 98-07-09 01:29:53 EDT, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< The martial arts are a good option  >>

In my former life (before PD), I did participate in the martial arts-- Kenpo
karate, black belt. We were taught how to fall and at that time, I did it
somewhat gracefully;  now, however, I don't know.  Fortunately, I haven't
had to put it to test.  My current specialty is stumbling.

If one is falling forward, tuck your head down and try to roll into a ball
shape and land on your shoulder.  For those of us that once were
graceful, we ended up doing a sort of a somersault and back on our feet,
in a defensive stance (against our predator, PD?)

If falling backward, try to extend your arms, palms down, and slap the
ground/floor with your hands to absorb the shock.  Keep your head up,
you don't want to break your fall with your head!

I hope that this helps a little bit-- you all have broken my fall more than
once.

Best regards,

Shel Franklin (61/8)