hi all

this article is available on the npf website at:
http://www.parkinson.org/ahlstrom.htm
but i wanted to share it with all of us including those without web access
russ's name is familiar to me - is he [or was he] a cyber-sibling?
this isn't current 'news' as such, but who cares?
its message is timeless

your syber-sis

janet

DISABLED VETERAN CONQUERS THE COLORADO ROCKIES

Crested Butte, Colo. -- March 27,1996

Russell Ahlstrom, an Air Force veteran from North Mankato, is at the Crested
Butte Mountain  Resort this week enjoying the freedom and exhilaration of
skiing at the National Disabled Veterans Winter Sports Clinic.

More than 250 severely disabled U.S. military veterans with spinal cord injury
or disease, certain neurological conditions, orthopedic amputations, visual
impairments, or other disabilities have gathered in Crested Butte to leam
adaptive Alpine and Nordic skiing, and be introduced to a variety of adaptive
activities and sports including wheelchair basketball, scuba diving and
snowmobiling.

This year's Clinic is cosponsored by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
and the Disabled American Veterans (DAV) and is hosted for the 10th year by
the Grand junction, Colo., VA Medical Center.

Ahlstrom, 51, has Parkinson's Disease. He is currently treated at the VA
hospital or outpatient clinic in Minneapolis, Minn.

He will downhill ski using a bi-ski. The bi-ski is a bucket seat with foot
rests to which feet are strapped. They are mounted on two independently
angulating skis on which a person can actually carve a downhill parallel tum.
There is a handle bar, or "power bar," which allows the individual to steer.
It also has adjustable fixed outriggers near the base which give it incredible
balance, making it virtually impossible to tip over.

"This is a chance to get together with other vets," said Ahlstrom. "This event
gives us a chance to do something we don't normally do. I really doubt that
there are very many people with Parkinson's Disease who are able to ski!"

"It was clear to me from the beginning that, for a newly-disabled veteran,
this experience isn't just about skiing," said Sandy Trombetta, the VA
recreation therapist who founded and now directs the Clinic.

"These veterans just want to be normal, to do normal things. On the mountain,
they become just like everybody else. When they come down from the mountain,
they just sit at the bottom and look back up, kind of in a dream state. They
are realizing that if this is possible -- if they can ski -- there are so many
other things in life that are possible. After ten years of doing this, it's
clear that we are in the business of changing lives."

janet paterson
51/10 - endocarb/selegiline/fluoxetine
almonte - ontario - canada - [log in to unmask]
parkinson alliance - http://www.parkinsonalliance.net