I had already learned a lot about PD before I was diagnosed as having
it. My Mother (now in a nursing home because of osteoporosis-physical
damage-broken bones, etc. from falling) has had PD for about 15 years.
(She is now 78). She lived in a retirement inn for about 7 years until
her condition would not allow it. We finally discovered the reason for
most of her falling. I don't remember the specific details of the meds,
but suffice it to say, she was way overmedicated. Her GP had been
prescribing as well as her nuro, plus she was self medicating and
overdosing due to forgetfulness. My brother who lives in the area took
control of that situation by getting a pill tray (little compartments
labeled by days and times) that would hold one week's supply. The staff
at the inn would maintain control and dispense them as scheduled. Very
few problems after that, but the damage had already been done. Moral, be
careful about self medicating and don't assume if a little does good,
then a lot will do better.

My doc supplied me with a little brochure that provided a lot of useful
info. Such as, when turning, do not pivot, but walk around the turn by
using both feet.  Wear wide-hard sole shoes. I now used shoes with
Velcro fastener, really much easier than laces.

One last hint, don't know where I discovered it. If you freeze and can't
get you feet going again, but you still have arm mobility, slap the side
of your thigh on the leg you want to get moving. Works great. It's like
saying, Hey brain, wake up, get with it and send a signal here.
J. Darwin Hawkins, Test Engineering
Phone: (316) 523-2804 (W), (316) 788-2322 (H)
Fax:      (316) 523-3130
Work E-Mail:   [log in to unmask]
Home E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]