On Fri 09 Jul, George J. Lussier wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
>     Since I became a master deleter {100 messages per 30 seconds]I hardly can tell you
>  what is going on on the list but I did make note of a couple of people mentioning the
> irs or other people's falls.

Hello George & Dennis

Due perhaps to the fact that before PD I had an excellent sense of
balance, I have not (Yet ) actually fallen down. I have experienced all
the symptoms which can lead to a fall though, and have come to some
conclusions which you may care to comment on.

The pre-cursor of falling is nearly always the old Parkinson's Soft-Shoe
Shuffle, which is generally coupled with freezing in doorways, but can
happen out in the open also. I experience all of these symptoms, for
about 30 minutes every morning, BEFORE my tablets catch up with my body.
( Unless I have slept more than about 6 hours, in which case I get what
I call a 'Free Ride' - but that's another subject).

After cross-questioning a few people in our local support group, I will
stick my neck out and say I believe that in 90% of cases falling is due
to insufficient levodopa: In short, you are underdosed.
 Now don't rush off and start swallowing loads of tablets - If you are
like me. you should be more concerned that you have chosen the correct
level once the tablet is established, and the lead-in to that steady
level will be what it will be. (You can always go back to bed for half
an hour!)

If your falling experience occurs at another time of day, you need to
consider the possibility that you may be between tablets. Do you get any
other symptoms with your falling? Are they associated with low dose?

My next suggestion is so glaringly obvious that you may consider that it
need not be said, but I promise you - a lot of PWPs whom I have met,
particularly the older generation,are so awestruck by their doctor that
they would not dream of taking their next tablet ahead of the time that
the doctor told them, even though their symptoms are crying out for
revision!
   The simple point is this: If you do experience a fall in your symptoms
consistent with reducing levodopa levels, and this continues for a while,
until you take the next tablet, then you are not taking enough tablets!!
There is NO penalty caused by 'filling-in the gaps where you are
under-medicated, the damage is done at the other end of the scale where
you may be taking too much levodopa.

--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>