The recent discussions (see excepts below) of #PD deaths/year as a
 measure for guaging medical research funding GREATLY underplays the
 situation.

PD may not directly cause a great number of deaths per year, but "it
 does take lives".  Forget the "death costs" stuff.  Our advocacy point
 is that PD is a living disease with huge "living costs" measured by
 relentless and accelerating expenses for medical, disability, care,
 etc. Don't we use the figure $25K/yr per PWP or a total of $25B/yr.
 Aren't these expenses born by PWPs directly, our families, and society
 in general (insurance, disability...)

This same kind of logic applies to our discussion of PD Vote Power. The
 important point for getting Udall appropriations is the multiplier
 effect of the 6-7 people affected by each PWP. Its the combined vote
 power that we are trying to harness, not just ourselves.

Dan

-----------   Excerpt List   -------------------

NIH  spent about $1,162 in research monies for every heart disease
 death, versus $33,513 for every AIDS death."

My understanding ist that PD gets 28 bucks a year, right?

"No one dies of PD."  Though possibly technically correct, of course,
 lots of people with PD did sooner than they otherwise might, but "from
 other causes."

This is a living disease.  We count people suffering with it.  We count
people failing to achieve.  We count dollars spent helping people live with
it - the overall economic cost - which we conservatively consider to be
$25,000 million in the U.S. alone.  And we can talk about our (indeed, any)
government's direct expenses for disability pensions and medical assistance
for people with PD.