At 01:33 PM 7/10/98 , Larry Fleming wrote:

>I personally think we are beginning to sound like the "welfare mothers".
>Today $30 million dollars is not enough therefore make it a $100 million.
>And, tomorrow when $100 million is not enough demand $1,000 million, and on,
>and on..... This $100 million dollars "doesn't grow on trees".  The citizens
>of this country have to come up with this money by not spending it on their
>kids, new house, or whatever they desire. I don't know about you, but I do
>not have the nerve to ask my neighbors to help pay for my problems.

Larry,

        Funding Udall fully makes compelling economic sense for the U.S. Government.

The $100 million we ask for represents 40 cents per person - perhaps a
candy bar.  The $5,000 million that it would return represents $20.00 per
person - not a fortune in itself, but a nice piece of change.

I don't think that we sound like welfare mothers at all - not if we state
our case correctly.

To me our case is this:

1.  The United States Government is paying out $5,000 million dollars each
year between disability income to PWP's and their medicare payments.  This
money would be saved were Parkinson's Disease cured or its effects
overcome.  This figure per Dr. Bill Heitman on this list.

2.  In order to effect this cure, a sum of $100 million per year for up to
five years will need to be spent.  This per the scientific community that
our leaders trust.

3. An investment that costs $100 million for five years and pays off at
$5,000 million per year indefinitely thereafter is an investment that the
government should seize upon and fund.

4.  It is only appropriate that the government make the expense, as only
the government stands to gain $5,000 million a year in savings.  It is an
appropriate function of an organization, whether it be a business or a
government, to invest its money wisely - and, in this case, for the common
good as well.

...and that's it!

We don't need to argue Parkinson's disease - we argue only the common sense
of the investment.  All right, we have many other reasons that we want
Udall fully funded, of which some relate to us personally.   Some reasons
hit us so hard personally that it is difficult to remember what others want
to hear:

        Funding Udall fully makes compelling economic sense for the U.S. Government.

We also hear that others want this money for their pet diseases, for an
aircraft carrier, for tax relief, for child care, for what have you.  All
good things, I suppose.  We don't gain ground by disagreeing about the
wisdom of their projects.  But do any of them have the potential for saving
the government this much money - if they indeed save any money at all?

        Funding Udall fully makes compelling economic sense for the U.S. Government.

In lobbying for funding, we are doing something good for all of the people
of the United States.  We are doing something great for all peoples in this
world.  The fact that we as Parkies have something special to gain drives
us, but the facts make our case.

Incidentally, I did make a post well over a year ago suggesting that we
should have asked for much more money originally and settled for $100
million. (This a suggestion from the writings of C. Northcote Parkinson.)
In reply I was chided (by whom, I forget) to the effect that $100 million
was all we could justify, based upon their projections of the cost at that
time.  So that's all we would ask for.

And to your question, "WHAT! happens if it doesn't work?"  All gains of
this magnitude are accompanied by some risk.  We know that it is not an
absolute certainty that the research will succeed within the  time and
money restraints of the Udall bill.  But the chance of success is
substantial, especially considering the potential gain.

Specifically, Larry, had our leaders told us that the cost would be $500
million per year for five years - or even $1000 million - we would still
have an excellent case on economic grounds.

What we are proposing in funding the Udall bill is something for the
population of all the United States - a way to save our government money -
ultimately a way to save money for all people of the United States and of
all of the world.  Yes, we are propelled by self interest to rid ourselves
of the disease.  But when we talk about ourselves, we miss the point that
our success will be good for everyone.

        Funding Udall fully makes compelling economic sense for the U.S. Government.

Art

 Arthur Hirsch {} [log in to unmask] {} Lewisville, TX {} 972-434-2377
 (nickname on instant mail, ICQ, and chat programs is cutterson)

   Always Remember This:  Happiness Is Right, So Choose Happiness