All I really fear is falling down the stairs and pulling a Christopher
Reeve.  How about a strap which hooks on to a special belt you wear whenever
you ascend or descend stairs.  The strap, or tether, is connected to a
mechanism which travels up and down the stairs with you on a track imbedded
in the wall of the stairway.  If you start to fall the acceleration is
sensed and a brake is quickly,but not totally abruptly, applied to prevent
you from going too far.  Would anybody else clip this on whenever you were
about to use the stairs?

We could sell it on the List here on-line and I could get rich from the
royalties (although getting rich does not seem to have  the allure it once
did!).