In a message dated 7/10/98 12:24:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Any thoughts? >>

Hi Bruce:  Yes there is a concern that the funding of the Udall bill may not
be all that we want. However there  is a developing effort to conteract this
potential proplem. A private donor and the NPF hace developed a device called
a seed grant proprosal. During a meeting with Dr. Tom Chase at the NPF in
January to consider this issue the following conclusions were reached. People
with PD should not put all their hopes in one basket. It was the general
concessus of the meeting that Dir. Varmus of the NIH would fund the best
application for grants. Those being grants that presented  the most potability
of success. In that frame work the idea that we should develop a pilot program
to encourage young researchers  to work in PD research was proposed. We  would
locate these researchers  with potential and fund them to the tune of $25,000
to $50,000 from private sources.  These researchers would with in a short time
develop enough information to apply to the NIF for a full grant to continue
their work.  I expect that you will hear more about this effort in the future.

It is important that that we realize that we are really a small minority in
the totality of the health care issue.  We future need to realize that we must
help our selves by raising  funds for research.

So yes there is concern  about the impact of little or no funding in light of
the energy expended and the hope embodied in this effort, It was nice to see
that our champion, Senator Spector has recovered from his illness and has
returned to the floor of the Senate.

After the Pittsburgh tribute for him at which Mohammed Ali was a guest Senator
Stratton made some private commitments to do all that he could to fully
appropriate the Udall Bill.

Dale Severance  The above thoughts are my own based on conversations and
events that I have participated in and do not reflect the views of any other
party.