At 09:08 PM 7/10/98 , Bruce Anderson wrote:

>A WELL written rebuttal, Art.  But you do have to figure in the odds for
>success.  Even at a 50% shot I think it makes sense.  Do you think, though
>that fence-sitting Reps doubt that it does make sense,  or that the odds are
>that  favorable?

You ask a good question, Bruce, and I don't know how to quantify an answer
- if indeed anybody does.  However, having just returned from the PAN Forum
in Washington, DC, having heard in person from researchers there, having
been updated on some research projects elsewhere, and having talked to
others in the advocacy area, I feel comfortable in saying that 99% is
closer to the truth than 50%.  The questions that I have in mind are not
if, but when, to what extent, with what limitations, and at what cost per
person.

Realizing as we must that the program will be administered by NIH, which
has opposed "earmarking" of funds and appears to be somewhat resentful of
the success of organizations that demand such, we must see clearly that
united and strong advocacy must continue from the various Parkinsonian
organizations and from our grass roots if we are to feel comfortable about
approaching our goals of time and expenditure.  Pardon this clumsy wording
- but this is how I must guard my optimism.

I believe that our representatives in Congress accept this.  What they
don't accept is the enormous economic impact that funding Udall will have.
And perhaps this is because we have been preaching do this for us, not do
this for the U.S.

(although, we are all painfully aware, it is definitely for us too)

Were it to cost $200 million per year, were it to take ten years to
accomplish, we would not be happy about it.  The economics of funding Udall
may not be as startling, but they would still be valid.  Dr. Heitman's
$13.6 million per day would grow to larger dollar figures as more baby
boomers become disabled by Parkinson's, and the money would continue to
leak out of the U.S. Treasury until the job is done.  We still have an
excellent case:

        Funding Udall fully makes compelling economic sense for the U.S. Government

Art

 Arthur Hirsch {} [log in to unmask] {} Lewisville, TX {} 972-434-2377
 (nickname on instant mail, ICQ, and chat programs is cutterson)

   Always Remember This:  Happiness Is Right, So Choose Happiness