Listmembers,

The question what if it does not work? has also occupied my mind. It is not
an easy subject to write about as everyone else seems to be convinced, that
the funding of the Udall Bill is a sort of garantee that a cure will be
found within a few years.
I don't wish to discuss what are the chances this will happen. But that it
is
not sure, is i.m.h.o. sure. Outcome of research is never only dependent on
money.
The reality is, that we don't understand yet the causes of PD and that
experiments which need to be done don't have a predictable outcome. (If
they had no need would exist to do them anyhow).
I don't have enough expertise to assess how much hope is realistic, but one
thing in this troubles to get the law implemented, does not make my
optimism grow.
May be my thoughts about this are not sound. I understand a bit about the
way money for research  is allocated in Holland. There is a lot of money
for medical research and if one wants to use some of it, one has to write a
research design. All the research designs are evaluated and the best of
them get the money. So if not much money is going to research about PD,
that might mean there are not many researchers that are eager to do
research on PD and that it is not the most attractive object for them to do
research on. The research that is done by the Pharmaceutical industry is
motivated by money one can make with its results. Researchers who work in a
non-profit setting are in choosing their object a.o. motivated by results
that bring them glory and may be, even the Nobel Prize. Isn't the fact that
the researchers are not quiuing for the Udall money and have not themselves
taken over the Udall actions, not a sign of them not believing a cure is on
the verge to be found? Which does not prove of course it is impossible to
happen. And searching is better than doing nothing, but maybe, we should be
a bit more carefull not to give false hope.
I have also some nice news. I have now for one week taken Tasmar
(Tolcapone) once a day and it surely works. My dyskinesia which had
occupied the side of my body which was not traeted by pallidotomy for at
least a few hours each day, has nearly disapeared. It is to early to trust
that it will do so perpetually and I try to defend myself against
disapointment again, but anyhow it is thrilling.

Regards, Ida Kamphuis

Vriendelijke Groeten / Kind regards,

Ida Kamphuis                            mailto: [log in to unmask]