Bruce,
It's easy to feel discouraged and human nature to guard against the
possibility of things not working out.  The only thing that I know without a
doubt is that Udall will NEVER HAPPEN without our efforts and the possibility
of things not working out will be greater then.

At the PAN Forum in June, we listened to scientists who believe we have real
reason to hope.  I am reposting "Routes to a Cure" in two parts, so look for
Part 2 to follow.
Part 1 will be below.  Barb Brock
The Routes to a Cure. . .

 The symptoms of Parkinson's disease, or Parkinsonism (PD), result from the
degeneration of nerve  cells in the mid-brain, and the corresponding loss of
the neurotransmitting chemical dopamine produced by those cells. Conventional
treatments revolve around pharmaceutical substitutes for dopamine (such as L-
dopa) and drugs that temporarily enhance the cell's dopamine production. Such
measures lose their effectiveness as more cells are lost; so a true
Parkinson's cure requires finding ways of stopping cell degeneration, and
replacing damaged cells with healthy, viable ones. . . or nurturing those
cells back to life. Among the more promising areas of research:

Genetic and Environmental Research

Researchers have identified and mapped one gene, for the protein alpha
synuclein, which is linked to a small number of Parkinson's cases: where the
gene is flawed, Parkinson's occurs. While only a few families are affected,
the discovery suggests a genetic link to at least some Parkinson 's cases.
Scientists expect to discover other genes linked in a similar way to the
disorder. This information may begin to identify people at risk. As important,
scientists predict that this information will help uncover the complicated
matrix of elements -- partially genetic susceptibility, particularly outside
"triggers" such as environmental toxins -- that result in dopamine cell death
and Parkinson 's symptoms.

Neural Cell Transplants

Researchers have implanted neural tissue into the degenerated area of the
brain and proven that the new cells can thrive and renew production of
dopamine. Dramatic results have been achieved in clinical studies, and the
requirements for a prototype therapy are being developed through continuing
animal and human clinical tests. Meanwhile, development of unlimited cell
sources is well underway. Progenitor cells, which divide in culture --
producing a continuous source of cells -- and then are "coaxed" to naturally
develop into the desired neurons, are close to development. Also, mid-study
analysis of a clinical trial using porcine (pig) neural cells and cow neural
cells indicates those cells are replicating the benefits of human cells, in
relieving the rigidity and uncontrolled movement associated with Parkinson's.

Neurotrophic Proteins

Researchers are identifying a growing number of proteins that function to
nurture nerve cells, and even appear to restore life to "dead" cells. Although
"nerve growth factor" and similar proteins are relevant to many neurological
diseases, at least one protein has been directly linked to the survivability
of dopamine cells. Clinical trials are currently under way to determine the
safety and effectiveness of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF)
in humans, and "viral vector" technology is being employed to develop
effective, non-invasive means to deliver them into the brain.