++++++++++++++++++++
Thomas,

Thanks for defining your terms. It seems we are all talking about the same
phase of the cycle after all.
Most of us use the term "off" to mean a period during which dopamine levels
are so low that PD symptoms predominate and "on" to mean a period when
dopamine levels are high enough that PD symptoms are significantly reduced.
It would avoid confusion if you could use 'on' and 'off' the same way and
find some term other than "off" when there is a need to divide the 'off'
condition into 'off' and the situation where dopamine levels are so low that
no movement is possible at all.

I am aware that PWP respond to visual stimuli, for example the use of chalk
lines to initiate unfreezing, checkered floors to enable a systained
progress etc. As far as I'm aware neither of the above has any affect on the
quality of the movement though I am open to correction on that score.  I do
know however, on my own empirical evidence, and that of many other PWP, that
any theory that advises PWP to walk with their hands locked behind their
backs or held out still in front of them is flawed in that respect at least.
I can unequivically state that any "off" PWP who attempts to walk with both
hands full or locked behind their back or held out still in front of them,
is going to exacerbate festination and in consequence increase their chances
of falling.

I am not in a position to evaluate your theories on the relationship of
vision to gait in PD, but I have always worked to the rule of thumb that
says -

 "if the bit I can understand is at odds with my experience, I had better be
suspicious of the rest."

Dennis.