Marvin:
Your honesty and your longing for an answer to the recurring question in
your life is prompting me to respond.  You and I have nothing in common save
our humanity.  Our lives have been as different as is possible.  Perhaps the
only commonality we may share is that neither you nor my husband fought in
the  Viet Nam war.  He was one who crossed the border and proceeded to
transform my life with his love, and now is embracing his role as my
caregiver with joy.  This information may move your finger to the "delete"
button immediately.  But I hope it does not.
I can, however, in some small way relate your feelings of guilt to
experiences I've had growing up in this society as a girl.  As a child I was
taught that I was to bear the balance of responsibility for the success of
relationships.  I was taught that if I was assaulted, I was in some way to
blame by my behaviour or my dress.  And I still hear people referring either
to themselves or others as being in some way to blame for their illnesses.
This  victimization of the victim seems to be ingrained in the social
fabric.  It is rare among the general population to find those who see the
outrageousness of this assertion.  Those who see that this is one hostile
attempt to dismiss an overwhelming sense of pain being felt by another
fellow human. (e.g. "She has throat cancer you know."  "Yes, well she
smoked.")  And so I have gone looking to find individuals who have rejected
this imposed guilt and are willing to unconditionally support my guilt free
identity, as well as their own.  People such as those you find on this
Listserv are  willing to do just that.
I, too, have had a long wrestle with the shame of developing a chronic
illness.  I have rarely heard this aspect discussed.  In fact only 2
individuals whom I have talked to have known exactly what I mean.  It is the
center of myself longing for its illusion of control to return, it's telling
my husband how deeply sorry I am for having "spoiled  it all", our plans,
our hopes and dreams for the future, it's standing in a cash check out and
feeling the stares of people in the line as my shakey fingers clutch at the
change slipping through them,  it's the face I wear when I want to show
pride, joy, love and know it's coming across as irritation.  So yes, I've
felt shame.  Sometimes it jumps out of the bushes at me again.   But I look
it in the eye, I feel it, I shed a river of tears, I write about it, and I
try to see it for what it is.
Sometimes the only help others can give is advice to ignore and deny the
feelings and get on with our lives.  For me this is not helpful.  However I
see their human attempts to reach out and I respect and am glad for that.
But going through, rather than going around has always for me been a more
constructive strategy.
The goal is to channel these feelings constructively so that ultimately you
find fulfillment in your life.  But channeling them will not happen if all a
person does is ignore, deny, trivialize them, or "just get on with their
life."
I have a lot to feel sad about.  So do you.  Your feelings are not silly.
They're you and they want you to acknowledge them, respect their right for
being there, hold them, embrace them and then they will subside.  They will
not be insisting on your constant attention. I think that Marine sargeant
had something to teach both of us.  He respected your feelings and your
concerns.  He respected your right to those feelings.  We must do this for
ourselves.  I'm not a lecturer so I will stop here.  You reached out your
hand.  I wanted to hold it for a minute.      Barb Rager