From:   Parkinson's Information Exchange on behalf of KEn Becker
Sent:   Saturday, July 11, 1998 10:03 PM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        Re: oh no! or, oh yes!

Tim, I lost my dad recently to Parkinson's.  The last time I saw him smile,
mask and all, was when I came to visit and brought him a  lemon tart, his
favorite dessert.  He knew I got it just for him, and it made me feel so good
knowing he enjoyed it.  His sense of humor was intact right to the end.  It
wasn't easy to communicate with him, but we usually knew what he was thinking,
or what he would say if he could talk.  He let us know how he felt in many
ways. The main reason I remain on the Parkinson's list, is to continue
communicating FOR him, the way he would if he were here.  He left a rich
legacy of love, and caring. He  planned for all of his family and friends to
have whatever he could give us, from his support of anything we wanted to do,
to his careful attention to financial security for my mother.  Someone (was it
you?) recently said "we ALL have a terminal disease." That is true.  But we
should NOT have to suffer. Especially if there is any way to prevent that
suffering, or minimize it. Thank you for offering some solutions for what are
probably the worst symptoms of Parkinsons, those that affect self esteem, and
coping mechanisms.  Most people can cope with major physical disabilities, if
they can maintain a positive mental attitude.  To quote a song lyric: "I can
get by with a little help from my friends", should be our motto on the list.
You are an example of the kind of friend we are lucky to have with us.  Thanks
for being here. [log in to unmask]