Although it's seldom mentioned in PD literature, many patients
notice a quick boost in mood, energy, or relief of wearing-off
symptoms such as dystonia, immediately on taking the next
scheduled dose of levodopa (Sinemet). I've wondered about this
because conventional wisdom says that oral levodopa must first
pass to the small intestine before it can be absorbed into the
bloodstream for transport to the brain, and the whole trip from
mouth to brain must take at least 15 minutes or so.
So I did a little experiment and found, if the Sinemet is
allowed to dissolve on the tongue (essentially tasteless)
before washing down with a glass of water, the effect is felt
within 15 seconds or less, rather than a quarter-hour. The quick
response is specially welcome against early-morning dystonia,
which I understand is very common. I'm not aware of any science
that says Sinemet can be absorbed through the mouth or tongue,
but it seems to work. Has anybody else observed this phenomenon?
Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694