All this talk of the mask of Parkinsons takes me back to when Ken first was
diagnosed with PD. I am a family counselor and was trained to watch "body
language". I was so relieved to learn about the mask, and I had to retrain
myself to listen only to the words my husband spoke and not to watch the
expression on his face. This brought about a new intimacy that lasted until he
could no longer speak when he wanted to. With neither speech nor facial
expression, our communication faded, and I (and I suppose he) felt bereft.
This is why the success of Aricept has made such a great difference in our
lives. Ken's renewed ability to speak and even to show some facial expression
has brought us closer emotionally than we have been in years.
Barbara Smith, CG/Ken/70/17