Gail Vass wrote:

> I agree whole heartedly with what Jerry Finch says in his post below.
> So I'm asking my Northern Virginia Support Group leaders to take up this
> challenge:
>
> Susan Hamburger, President of our National Capital Chapter Parkinson's
>                  Support Group
>
> Perry Cohen, Vice President of our NCC PD Support Group
>
> Chava Sladek, Coordinator of Patient Services of NCC NPF
>
> I agree whole heartedly with what Jerry Finch says in his post.
> I have seen this Public Service announcement 30 sec. video and he is
> right. Arthur Hirsch showed me the video when he traveled up from Dallas
> Texas and stayed in my home prior to going to Washington DC
> to attend the PAN Forum in June.
>
> It shows a very moving portrayal of a moment in the life of a man
> with Parkinsons and should be seen by all...and if it is available, can
> we get it and have it shown on television here in the National Capital
> viewing area?
>
> This is an opportunity that shouldn't be missed. Susan, Perry and Chava
> can we obtain a copy of this tape, place our local phone
> number on it, and get the local TV stations here to run it?
>
> a GrassRoot calling,
>
> B. Gail Vass, RN

> Date:    Sat, 11 Jul 1998 21:53:25 -0500
> From:    Jerry Finch <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: PSA's
>
> Greg wrote: "...I wish we could get the non-PD folk to
> listen. From
> the bowels of lethargy . . ."
>
> I am very serious about this - last time I wrote about it no
> one replied, but I maintain that it's an extremely valuable
> resource to fullfill the function  to "...get the non-PD
> folk to listen."
>
> The Public Service announcement, done by the Houston group
> and now being shown on TV, is exceptional. Strictly about
> PD, showing a man trying to tie his shoes with his
> background voice talking about his PD, and a number for more
> information. The spot is very well made (they took a whole
> day to film the one scene). And it grabs the attention
> quickly and hangs on until the end (probably a 30 sec.
> spot.)
>
> I can think of nothing better (well I can, but at least this
> isn't against the law) than for a support group to obtain a
> copy of this tape, place their own phone local phone number
> on it, and hand carry it to the local TV station. Stations
> get Brownie Points for showing these things, everyone think
> they are doing a public service, which they are, and the FCC
> grants them another license when their time comes around.
>
> The folks involved in this production are right here on this
> list. Ask for more information, get the tape, put you
> support group phone number on it, take it to the TV station.
>
> When you see it playing, I promise, it will bring tears -
> from all the frustration and anger that each of us try to
> deny we have. But it will also play a tune to those folks
> [...]
Very good point, Gail.  I don't know if any of the people you mentioned
were present at the screening of the PSAs at the PAN Forum last month,
but I was and I can vouch for them.  Susan, Perry and Chava, and Peter
Morobito and any one else important and with clout, official or
unofficial,  that means you, Rusty, and Michel, and  Mitch, and anyone
else I may have forgotten,  Howzabout it?
Hilary Blue