   I started this string with a simple premise.  The discussion which
resulted went way beyond that, which I think is great because I for one
learned quite a bit.

    Here are my final (probably!) thoughts on the matter.  Feel free to
refute it and have the last word.

    I realize I wasn't real clear of the purpose of my post, but what I was
(am still but maybe a little less so) concerned about was the emotional
toll the process was taking on certain of us,  which was bound to get worse
no matter what the outcome of the funding is.  I think the  impression was
starting to be given unintentionally that the $100 million was, in fact,
going to "fund the cure," and succes was assured.
.However, sombody (Ida?) made the observation that the outcome of medical
resarch is never just dependnet on money.

But then, from what has been offered here by Carol Cassidy, Barbara Brock,
and others, while the $100 milllion is not going to be enough, eventual
success is very, very likely.

However, as Marling said, this is just one battle in a bigger war.  She was
referring to the need to watchdog the NIH's use of "our money."

Ivan had given us this list of  positive results of our recent efforts.  I
think that because we're going to be at war for some time against PD his
numbers 4
and 5  are the most important:
>>1. appearing on TV, radio and in newspapers in increasing numbers
>
>>2. the Udall Act is authorized for 3 years
>>
>>3. we are closer than ever to getting $100 million/year in research
>>and
>>public education funds through the udall appropriations process
>>
>>4  we are greatly increasing our advocacy tools and skills
>>
>>5 we are becomimg a community, and are no longer   isolated       from
>>   one     another     !

I was not suggesting we not ask our governmeenet  to spend  the money on
us, which is a mere drop in the bucket. Say it real
fast -ahundredmilliondollars- it doesn't sound like much because it  isn't
much. About the cost of 200 US Park Service Pennsylvania outhouses.  And Art
Hirsh's analysis of the eononics of getting rid of PD is so mind-boggling
that Cogress just HAS to go along. However, if, by some horrible twist of
fate our Congress does fail us, we
use #4 to help get us a new Congress.

The one thing i heard throughout all this that I didn't agree with is that
to express any doubts at all about finding "the cure" would jeopardze our
fforts in Congress.  Our List Members' emotional health is important too,

& i think this helped put things into perspective for us all.