Hi Dennis;

you wrote:
Lets get back to basics.

My experience says that swinging your arms and keeping your hands free
reduces festination and consequently reduces the chances of falling.

Your theory/experience is that holding your hands in front of your face or
behind your back reduces festination and consequently the chances of
falling.

Rita Weeks points out (among other things <grin>) that we are all different
and that none of us is the yardstick for the rest of us.  In fact each
individual may find one reaction true at one stage of their progression and
another at a later stage.

As the intention of all contributors to this discussion is to reduce the
incidence of falling among our fellow sufferers I would suggest that this
objective is best served by advising those of us who are prone to falling
that some of us find one method helps and others of us find that the other
method helps.  They can then experiment and find out to which group they
belong.

Dennis.

Right on Dennis!  And my experience is that through ballroom dance
therapy and multiple sclerosis therapy (I was originally diagnosed as
early ms) I have only fallen a few times in the past 10 years. (I
spent 2 years before that falling on my face a lot - several times a
week, always unexpectedly).

Ballroom dance lessons are great therapy and teach you balance and
conscious weight changes.

The ms step therapy similarly concentrates on stepping forward onto
one foot, consciously balancing, stepping forward on the other foot
etc. sorta like walking in very deliberate slow motion fashion, first
on a dead level surface and then progressing to stepping over a 1
inch obstacle, 2 inch obstacle, etc. until you can progress to
stairs.

I still find myself unconsciously practicing walking 10 years
later....

All the best Dennis (how do you stay upright down-under?)

Murray 53/4