On Thu 09 Jul, Kathy Barras wrote:
> Mom started taking Sinemet CR once daily and now taking 1 in the morning
> and 1 at night.  I noticed that since she added the second sinemet, that
> she seems to be "impatient" and in a rush to get things done (well, in a
> rush in her world).  The 10/100 generic sinemet 4 times daily had the
> same effect.  Is this a typical reaction to sinemet?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kathy Barras (cg mom, Florence, 74/Sept 97) [log in to unmask]
> Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Hello Kathy, There does seem to be some sort of relationship between Sinemet
level and speed of thought. (I'm not sure whether speed of thought is the
most appropriate term).

As examples, consider the older, advanced PWP: I have found when talking to
such people that they seem to be on a different time-scale, with long
periods of silence during which there seems to be nothing happening - the
PWP eventually resuming the interrupted sentence as if the pause had never
happened.

At the other end of the scale, I have found that a fairly severe overdose
of Sinemet can cause a state where physically I am suuffering from
dyskinesias, but in addition my thinking becomes affected. Typically, I
find that if I am trying to pursue a train of thought, it is easy to get
into a sort of endless loop, where the same thought seems to rattle round
in my head, but nothing comes out!

The above observations are admittedly rather extreme, but I think they
point to a relationship which is similar in some ways to your observations
of your mother. (Incidentally, I do recognise the fact that my observations
of my own behavior may themselves be flawed.)

My solution is obvious: Don't get into these extreme conditions! I manage
to do this with a 90% to 95% success rate, so I don't count it as  a real
problem for me. I don't want to frighten people unnecessarily on this -
between the two extremes there seems to be a comfortably large area for
normal operation where Sinemet simply does its job of replacing missing
Dopamine in the brain. If this normal operation zone did not exist, then
for one thing, a lot of the postings to this group would be nonsense or
illogical. NOW THERE'S A THOUGHT. I'd better stop while I'm ahead!

Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>