In a message dated 7/13/98 12:57:00 PM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<

 A question:  What happens in three years if the Udall Bill STILL hasn't yet
 been funded?  (heaven forbid it should take that long.... but "what if?")

Barb,
The answer to your question is "Nothing."  However, I respectfully submit that
a much more pertinent question is "What should we be doing now?"

Whether the Udall (the Mo) money is made available in the next three years,
twenty years, or never, we will still be getting three, twenty, or however
much older.  If you had asked me back in 94-95 if it would take until 97 to
pass the thing, I would have laughed (nobody could fail to see the expense in
the status quo-doing nothing, not trying ).  That brings us to the point of
doing the Mo.

What else do we have to do that holds anything like the possibility of this
thing?  It may not be a sure thing but it is a shot.  I imagine that there
were serious scientists who had major reservations on President Kennedy's
announcement that we were going to the moon.  I think we have at least as good
a shot at this as they had at that.

How about some examples of current blessings?:
1.  Jim Finn's fetal pig transplant is working-so far.
2.  There are folks working on a human neuronal tissue bank.
3.  There are neurotrophic factors being discovered and tested.
4.  We have powerful computers and worldwide communications to help.
5.  Researchers seem to be cooperating more than in the past.

To keep things in perspective, let me share the old Heitman family time/money
formula:
(To be truthful, I have to admit that the formula  was stolen from an
acquaintance long ago.)

T or M = 2 a + b where a is the original estimate and b is some larger number.

Regards,
WHH 54/18