Hello Gail and M.Dawn,

Tue, 14 Jul 1998 13:32:06 -0400 Gail Vass <[log in to unmask]> wrote on the
subject: Re: Face/Mask

<<<< "Many PWP are unable to UNDERSTAND subtle changes in facial expression,
and the nuances of speech: sarcasm, ellipsis, double entendre."

How did you come to this conclusion?
Could you site what information led you to conclude this? >>>>

.....AND.....

Tue, 14 Jul 1998 15:10:32 EDT "M.Dawn Legan" <[log in to unmask]> wrote on the
subject: Re: Face/Mask

<<<< BTW, I didn't know that "Many PWP are unable to UNDERSTAND subtle
changes in facial expression, and the nuances of speech: sarcasm, ellipsis,
double entendre."  This makes sense to me if it's in the context of
dementia. Is there more to it?  If it's part of dementia, that's a tough
one. If it's something else, I'd think we could  come up with some ways to
perk that skill up.  ? ? ? >>>>

*I* didn't come to this conclusion, but it is one of the statements made by
the author:

"Work carried out in Glasgow has revealed that many people with the disease
were not able to understand subtle changes in facial expression, or those
nuances of speech that we use daily, sarcasm, ellipsis, and double entendre.
Aged-matched peers had no such difficulty."

It was the first time I read about this too!!
If it's true, I agree with M.Dawn, that we should find ways of dealing with
this problem, and CG's and others should be told about this too. Has any PWP
experienced this problem? Perhaps CG's have experienced this problem in
communicating with their PWP? Perhaps it's a point for discussion on the
CARE-list?

M.Dawn, the statement says: "...many PWP...". I read that as "most" as in
75% or more. Because "most" PWP do NOT become demented, I see no relation
with dementia.

BTW M.Dawn: I think it's great the way you took control! (with the doctors).

Hans.