On 07/14/98 Jane asked:

>She wants to know if anyone on the list has had experience taking sinemet
>with fosamax and what problems (if any) they had.
>
>She'd also like any information about managing PD and osteoporosis
>together.

My husband has been taking Fosamax for over a year. After a bone scan some
three years ago, he began taking Didronel for his osteoporosis. This was a
tedious regimen involving taking the drug for a short period followed by
taking calcium for 3 months without the Didronel. This cycle was continued
indefinitely. When Fosamax was approved, he asked to take that instead and
has found it to be much more convenient. It also functions more effectively
than the Didronel since it prevents the resorption of calcium from the bones
that leads to osteoporosis. Bone calcium not only functions to supply the
sturdiness of bones, but it is the bank that is drawn upon for the more
essential function of calcium in the blood that is needed to allow the heart
to beat and muscles to function. Normally, in healthy people with
adequate diets, bone calcium is in dynamic exchange with serum calcium. In
osteoporosis, more goes out than is replaced and bones become weak.

The difficulty with taking Fosamax lies in the timing and restrictions of
its intake. The instructions are to take it on an empty stomach with a large
amount of water. It is necessary to remain upright for a half hour or so
after taking it and to refrain from taking any juice or food or other
medications for at least a half hour. The medicine is quite irritating to
the esophagus, thus these restrictions to wash it down well and remain
upright. Trying to fit this procedure into the schedule of food and meds for
someone with advanced PD isn't easy.

For Neal it works pretty well if he takes it on arising in the morning. That
required half hour before taking other meds passes as he s-l-o-w-l-y gets
dressed. Then he takes his first PD meds with orange juice. Others may find
a different schedule works best for them. The only problem with his schedule
is that once he takes the Fosamax he can't go back to bed no matter how
early it is.

Does it help? Can't be sure without another bone scan, but his infrequent
falls have not broken any bones so far. Fosamax is being promoted for post-
menopausal women and there isn't much in the literature about its usefulness
for men. Nevertheless, we feel it does help with this man. It is also
necessary to include adequate dietary calcium and Vitamins A and D or
supplements. The drug alone will not do it all. Your mother's estrogen
supplement will also be helpful.

As for managing osteoporosis with PD, the worst problem he has is the
painful distortion of the spine that becomes exaggerated with dystonia.

Martha Rohrer (CG for Neal, 78/13)