Wonderful, wonderful piece. I applaud your talent, humanity, and, yes, your
grace. I remember my mother commenting on my whistling when I was young. She
said, "Laides do not whistle". I rebelliously told her that I didn't care to
be one because "ladies never have any fun". As time went on I, of course,
changed my definition of what it is to be a lady. The new definition had to do
with always maintaining a sense of class. Not in the apartheid or caste sense
of class, but that of true grace under pressure. It included always being true
to yourself, and always treating others as we would  like to be treated. All I
can say is, if you turn to the word "lady" in the dictionary, I fully expect
to see your picture there.

I've written a little poem for my husband, as caregiver, but it's about our
loss of grace as well:

"A Tune that No One Else Can Hear"

*

Through thick and through thin he's stood by me,
And kept my spirits high.
A better companion, I suspect,
No one could ever find.

*

His words are full of encouragement.
He listens with his heart.
He's raised friendship to a higher plane,
And caring to an art.

*

At those times when I need him the most,
 When people stop and stare,
I am so grateful for his support,
For me, he's always there.

*