Judy Meredith wrote:
> I subscribed to see what I could learn about
> Olive Ponto Cerebellar Disease, which is similar to
> Parkinson's but more rapidly progressive and of
> mysterious etiology.
>
> I am an occupational therapist and  am working with a man
> who has  OPCD.  Does anyone on this list have information
> about good informations sources about OPCD??

Dear Judy,
It's only a name. Doctors like to give various parts of the
body (and many other things) arcane and esoteric Latin or
Greek names, often just the word for a familiar object with
fancied resemblance to the part in question. Mostly to
hornswoggle common folk like us who ain't so eddicated. So:
   olive = an "olive"-shaped part of the brain
   pons  = another part, suggestive of a "bridge"
   cerebellum = "little brain"; a round appendage under the
   back part of the brain that controls autonomous movement
   and balance.
Then, whenever they discover two or more patients who seem
to have more or less the same set of symptoms, they name it
as a specific disease, so they can publish scholarly
articles about it in scientific journals. Thus:
   Olivo-Ponto-Cerebellar Atrophy (OPCA) is just a name
   for the simultaneous degeneration, or atrophy, of those
   three parts of the brain.
Unfortunately, that's about all they know about it. Unlike
Parkinson's Disease which is a highly specific, but not
limited to, defect of certain special cells in a small
well-defined area, OPCA represents only one of the many
combinations of parts that can go wrong. Since OPCA involves
the cerebellum, patients lose ability to walk. There are
lots of other diseases representing other combinations-
vaguely related to PD because at some point they also affect
gait and balance: MSA, SDS, CBGD, PSP, etc., but the
resemblance ends there, because only PD is specific and
localized enough to permit a definite kind of treatment.
Some of those others can be identified while the patient is
still alive, and often the failure of PD treatment is a
major clue. There's no particular treatment I know of for
OPCA, because so far it's defined only by the combination
of parts of the brain that happen to be affected.
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road