My father has the same problem- and the neuro said that this is a side
effect of one of the pills he takes.  Walking seems to help- the days he
walks a bit, they are not as swollen as the others when he does not walk.
My cousin who is a nurse in the cardiac unit told me that we had to
watch Dad very carefully for weight gain- that this could be a symptom
of something related to his heart?  I don't want to be an alarmist, but
just thought I shud mention this (since I don't live with my parents
I forget a lot of these day-to-day issues).

I think it is terribly important to listen to your own body- if it is
really bothering you, go to the doctor- insist you be seen etc.  Worst case
it will be nothing- so what if you look silly?

I've had an opportunity to go to a nurse midwife when I was pregnant- (my
OB was building houses for the poor in Mexico).  She told me about lots
of herbal remedies- and also taught me the best way to battle the painds
of breastfeeding.  My OB never mentioned this- and it helped me a GREAT
deal!