Interesting, that you mentioned heart trouble.  When one has
congestive heart failure, one has edema (swelling from fluid
retention) beginning in the feet and traveling up the legs.  I know this
because it is what my father had.  When the heart gets old and/or
tired it can no longer pump the fluids through the body fast enough
and they begin to collect in the feet (gravity, don't you know).
I can remember finals week at college.  I was commuting 140 miles
round trip each day.  On the last day of finals I got up early to find
my father sitting in his chair (as usual), and I felt that something was
wrong. I asked him if he was ok, and he said he was fine, then told
me to go and take my tests.  I left him sitting there, my mind
straining to remember all the things that would be on the final that
day. I returned in the late afternoon and he was still sitting in the
chair, exactly as I had left him.  I again felt that something was
wrong.  He said it was hard for him to get up.  I put my hand on his
knee and nearly jumped out of my skin.  I started to check him and
found that he had edema, not just some swelling of the feet and
ankles.  NO.  He was swollen up from his toes to his waist and could
not move.  I called an ambulance and had him taken to the hospital
immediately.
He was started on IV diuretics and x-rays taken.  The doctor said
his heart was just not pumping fast nor hard enough to circulate his
fluids. So, they gave him heart meds as well.  After 2 days in the
hospital the swelling had gone down some and they took x-rays
again as he was having trouble breathing.  They discovered he had
a collapsed lung which was masked by the swelling. Then they put a
chest tube in to drain the lung.  He was draining all over the place
(sorry could not resist the laugh--actually he said it first).Eventually
the fluid was drained and a new med schedule worked out and the
lung reinflated.  Wow, all on finals week.  oh yes--I graduated.
(sorry for the long winded story but I feel a little nostalgic)
don't forget how to laugh (and do it often)
Marling McReynolds
http://members.tripod.com/~marling