Bob Anibal wrote:

> We get all our prescriptions at one drug store. Even if their
> computer is fouled up, I am betting that they will refill our
> prescriptions. The people in the pharmacy there even recognize me
> over the phone when I call in for a refill. Have confidence in the
> good will of our fellow men!!!!!!! Bob Anibal

It's good they know who you are, but go back thru the prior steps.
My pharmacy (Rite Aid) runs with a low level of stock on hand.  They
often have to place orders to fill presciptions.  So I'm wondering,
when inventory runs low in November or December 1999, how well will
computer systems where the orders are placed work for 2000?  What
about scheduling of deliveries?  That is done by computer.  What
about the place where they pick up from?  Are doors of the warehouse
automatically locked and unlocked by something run by computer that
is a date-dependent?  What goes on prior to that?  etc. etc. etc.
There are lots of points where foulups can occur, and it will add
time and confusion to the overall process.

There are some people who think that, computer wise, the world will
fall apart on 1/1/2000. I'm not one of those, nor am I in a panic,
but I'm concerned.  I work in the computer field and have seen some
foulups and their effects. We have become very computer dependent,
and some organizations are a bit behind in dealing with year 2000
problems.

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
60/9