>Subject:     Apple/Mac Y2K Compliant? NOT!!
>Date:        7/18/98 2:09 PM
>From:        Murray _Charters, [log in to unmask]
>To:          Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN,
>
>Hi Hans,
>
>(snip)
>>

>Well Hans & Jerry & everyone...........
>
>I've got good news and I've got bad news!
>
>First the good news... The Apple & Mac HARDWARE is by design Year
>2000 Compliant.

So whats with the contraditory statement in your subject and at the end
of this statement?
Sounds like a PC user who wishes to be a Mac wannabe

>Now the bad news... Apple & Mac SOFTWARE is not necessarily Year 2000
>Compliant.
This statement is correct.

>What does this mean????
>
>Many of the programs running on Apples / Macs come from third party
>suppliers, and many of them are "ported" from PC versions.
Although possible you are reaching for desperate straws to make your
point.
I see very little software used in the industry that Mac users' use that
is ported from PC version.
 >Also,
>custom code may have been developed in the actual systems running on
>top of application programs.
Another rarity as any mac programmer would design his top running
software applications using the Toolbox calls correctly which eliminates
any problem.
 >In addition, if you are running any
>programs in an office / company environment you must ensure that
>everyone is using the same version of the software.
Not necessarily a problem as any software designed properly may have many
versions with the year 2000  handled correctly from original version.
Yes, people should test all versions of their software."Especially the PC
ported stuff."
> Apple / Mac programs are more likely to be Year 2000 Compliant than PC
programs, however
>you can NEVER assume there is absolutely no risk.
You are correct.

>If testing finds
>any incompatibilities, and you decide to stop using a program, you
>must ensure that it is deleted from every hard drive and that there
>are no copies left which may accidentally be re-installed.
>
>One of the biggest problems with the Year 2000 Compatibility is that
>people make blind assumptions...
One of the biggest problems I come across in the  computer industry is PC
users fear mongering because some PC's and mainframe computers have a
major hardware, operating system, and application and software problem
with the Year 2000, and assumming that everyone else should have this
problem to the same extent or some sort of version thereof.

>Apple MacIntosh computers are ALWAYS Year 2000 compatible!!!
Macs always will be because they were originaly built that way.
There is no hardware or operating system problem whatsoever for the Year
2000.

>NOT!!!!!!!!!!!
Not? You just contradicted your good news statement above.
A more correct and proper statement would be:
Some Apple Macintosh software may not be Year 2000 compatible:

>best regards..............Murray

regards :-)
Don 49/2

I don't do .INI, .BAT, .CFG, or .SYS files.  I don't assign apps to
files.  I don't configure peripherals or networks before using them.  I
don't manage IRQs and DMA channels.I don't worry about the year 2000
either.  My computer works for me & not the other way around. I use a
Macintosh.