On Sat 18   (Sharon Golub) wrote:
> I am looking for medically and scientifically sophisticated review articles
> describing research pertaining to the use of antioxidants in theprevention and
> treatment of Parkinson's Disease.  Suggestions as to specific articles and/or
> other sources of information would be most welcome.

Hello Sharon, I am not able to give you references, but I do want to warn you
that you need to read as many recently-published reports as you can, because
of the strange history of Selegeline over the past 5 to 8 years. It came into
fashion as an insurance against the designer-drug MPTP. Then it was realised
that it was a powerful antioxidant and would be a good thing for taking
care of Free Radicals, another speculative 'maybe' cause of depletion of
dopamine-producing cells. There followed a string of scientific papers which
more or less extoled the virtues of Selegeline as if it was the latest and
greatest wonder drug.
   Then a back-lash crept in. An English paper claimed that in a statistical
test of Sinemet taken with Selegiline there was an unexpected increase in the
mortality rate. Other groups tried to reproduce the result and failed, and
although some incorrect practices were discovered, the anomally would not go
away.
  The final nail in the coffin came when the same researchers who had reported
the fantastic results from selegeline (some reports claimed that it virtually
stopped the deterioration) now found that comparing groups who did to those
who did not take Selegiline, there was virtually no difference in the two
groups. They now think that the improvement reported by the early reports was
because as Selegiline breaks down in the brain, it produces Amphetamine
(speed). which was affecting their brain: They just felt better!

Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>