Date:           Mon, 20 Jul 1998
From:           Geo. Robbins <[log in to unmask]>

We had a great program  at our last Parkinson's Disease   support group
meeting.     Lt.  Steve  Cooper, a member of the Miami County Sheriff's
Department,  discussed  the  various types of "Fraud or Scams' and ten
steps you can take to thwart the swindler.     Some  facts on Fraud

*   Older  people  comprise  11 %  percent  of  the  population but con-
stitute 30% percent of the consuner
Protect yourself -- don't give your credit card number to an unsolicited
telemarker, and check out any deal before parting with your hard-earned
money.  Asked the following the question:

* Where did you get my name?
*  Can you send me written materials to back up your claims?
*  Explain all the risks involved in this investment.
*  Would you be willing to explain your proposal to attorney,
    accountant, or banker?
*  What goverment agency supervises your activity?
*  How long has your company been in business?
*  How much of my money will go for fees and commissions?
*  Where will by money be held, exactly?
*  What type of written statements do you provide, and how often
    will I receive them?
*   What are your firm's principals?  Can you provide references
     for them?
This was just a part of his presentation.  We thought this might be
of interest for a program.

Geo. Robbins
Support Group, Troy, Oh.