Mon, 13 jul 1998 09:49:33 Carole Cassidy <[log in to unmask]>
wrote on the subject: "Re: re deleting messages":

<<<<
I, too, find the volume of messages very difficult to cope with.  It seems
to me that part of the issue could be resolved if replies were directed to
the sender only when that is appropriate. For example, if you are adding
information to a discussion, it's probably appropriate for your response to
go to all members.  On the other hand, if you're sending a message of
thanks or an "attaboy" perhaps that could be directed only to the primary
recipient and not to everyone.>>>>

Hello Carole and other listmembers,

A few suggestions/remarks for all listmembers, regarding the problems of the
"having-no-other-option-but-delete-a-lot-of-the-messages-without-reading"
listmembers:

1)
Go on DIGEST if there are to many single emails for you:
instead of 60-80 emails a day, you get 2-3 DIGESTS a day.
DIGEST needs (with me) about 1 minute to come in, total of 3 minutes a day.
80 emails take (with me) about 10 minutes to come in.
So DIGEST saves you 7 minutes!
Also DIGESTS are a lot faster to delete (if you want/have to)
You do not have to separate the "list"-messages from your other email.

2)
A lot of email already is sent off-list.
If I look at my mail coming directly from listmembers and sent directly to
listmembers, multiplied by the number of "really activ mail sending"-people
on this list, I can guarantee you that if these were all sent by the list,
the number of emails would be many times higher.
E.g.: I send two extra out and receive two extra, that's four, multiplied by
lets say only 10 senders, that would mean 40 emails extra A DAY for each
listmember.

3)
A lot of listmembers only READ.
I've been on the list for half a year. I've been counting how many and who
were activ in this period. Results: only 250-300 members have written, so
1300 just read. Some only write one time, some one time a month, some one
time a week, some more than one time a week. The ones of more than one time
a week are about fifty people. Just 50 people!! What would happen if the
1300 woke up and sent ONE email a month. I don't want to think about that
for too long........it would mean a disaster, speaking from the point of
email-volume control! (BTW can the listowner see how many are on NOMAIl and
for how long. Perhaps the memberslist could be updated by signing off people
on nomail for longer than e.g. a year.)

4)
IMO the numbers of emails can't/ won't become lower.
Most people like the variety from serious to LOL.
What CAN be changed would be the LENGHT of the emails cq the number of DIGESTS.

If you "reply" to a subject, only send back the part of the original message
you are commenting on. DElete the rest of the message.

Also do not send "reply on reply on reply". Again only the part you are
commenting on and delete the rest.

If someone has sent a looooooong post, don't reply to it by saying:
"GREAT, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK" and resend the loooooooong post too, but only
send the "GREAT, ETC", a few lines to make obvious what post you where
replying to,and delete the rest!

5)
Take the time to (re)name and (re)subject your post. In that way it will be
clearer what's the post about and for who, so the receivers will have an
easier task in selecting between READ or DELETE.

6)
Some Wizzkids could make a list with instructions for the most frequently
used emailprograms and their correct settings for use on the list, so if
anyone sends wrong formatted messages to the list, the listowner or someone
"appointed" by her can supply that person with the proper settings right away.

IMO if everybody would follow these "rules" most of the time, the volume
would decrease, without changing the present "character" of the list.

BTW: IMO Barbara Patterson and her "official" and "non-official" helpers to
keep this list going are doing a great job! Thanks!! (HAD to be said!)

Hans.