Barbara Patterson

Although new to this group I have a further concern in respect to
allowing attachments on the listserv. My major concern is that computer
virus's can be quite easily transmitted. I am not sure but assume that
your listserv simply distributes email and in no way checks email
attachments for computer virus's. Any file virus can be transmitted as an
E-mail attachment. However, the virus code has to be executed before it
actually infects. Sensibly configured mailers and browsers don't allow
this. In particular, people should check that their Web browser doesn't
automatically pass Word documents to Word 6 to open, since this may
result in embedded macros being launched.
While there are many computer savvy PD people out there, there are
probably just as many who do not know how to protect themselves from this
risk. I know my suggestion will sound very unfair to the users who do not
have the skills to send email without turning off the attachment feature,
or even knowing what havoc their emailer program has created.

It would be my preference that no email with attachment(s) be accepted by
the listserv at all.

Now excuse me while I duck from Bruce's flying CAPS LOCK.

Don 49/2