Even worse are the ones thas t call and play recorded messages, then ask you to leave your phone number or address, etc. I think one of those called Dad at his nursing home residence- I recall putting the phone on his radio to fill up their recorder.
Actually, I think recorded telemarketing calls are illegal. They had a habit of dialing doctors, police emergency lines, and so on, and tying them up.
In any event, if they call you and ask you to record a message, they deserve whatever they get. You're not harassing them, they initiated the call and they're free to hand g up at any tio me. :-)
Anyway, their recorder may "listen" for as long as it hears sound (maybe with a preset limit). Just a thought.
-Bill (father 78/4)