Hello Eldon-
     Nothing is 'destroyed' when you break a SinemetCR
along its scored surface.
     Since CR means "controlled release" the Sinemet is
bound with a filler that breaks down slowly in the intestine to
allow Sinemet to enter the bloodstream at a slower  rate -
thereby smoothing out and prolonging the flow of levodopa to
the brain.
     An unbroken, oval tablet has three surfaces:top, bottom,
and circumference...so the filler breaks down at a rate from
three surfaces.
     Whereas, a broken tablet adds two more surfaces to the
breakdown rate, the theory is that the CR enters the
bloodstream at a clinically faster rate...supposedly losing
some of the controlled release benefit...but not the levodopa
itself.  Certainly plausible, but I haven't read any statistics.
     I take one 50/200CR in a.m. and p.m. and sometimes
break the tablets for easier swallowing.
Stephan 54/8

>>> "J.Eldon Green" <[log in to unmask]> 07/22/98
10:25pm >>>
I was told today at a support group meeting that if you cut a
sinemet CR pill
in half you destroy the CR.  Is this true and if so where is it
published?
Eldon Green
Tampa Bay