I want to add to the discussion of the effects of breaking  a CR in half. It
seems to me that the conclusions are opposite to what
has been described before. Assume that the rate of dissolution of the pill is
proportional to the area. The we need to compare the area befrore and after
breaking the pill. Consider a half section: the area before consists of the top
and bottom surfaces  and the edge strip. However, the end is not exposed
because the pill is not broken yet. Now consider after: the area which used to
consist of the top,
bottom and edge strip is now reduced to the oval area where the break is. I
would argue therefor that the new area is signifantly smaller than before,
almost by a factor of two.
Therefore the dosage would be *reduced* by the same factor.
K-F